CPEP: Just Another Satisfied Customer

By Linda cleopatrah88@aol.com
I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing my son being forced to go to cpep by police. He was cuffed like a criminal except that he had no rights. while he was being held in a waiting are the police kept cuffs on even while the nurses were taking his blood pressure and treating him like an object. The cops never took the cuffs off! My son then complained about the blood pressure cuff being too. Tight and please remove it. He was ignored, his hamds cuffed, he was frightened and helpless. I asked to go in and sit with him. I thought he was going to be cared for. The ytold me I couldn’t see him- he was on his own without witnesses. I was devastated.. I began yelling to him the bill of rights. I told him he has the right to ask questions.the male nurse ripped the cuff off him. He demanded to know his name..another less compassionate nurse came in and told my son”that doesn’t work in here”, “he doesn’t have to tell you his name” I assured him that he has every right to know who was treating him. Not once did anyone tell him they were there to help him or that they were going to care for him

I was left in a waiting area with no explanation of what was happeningto my son. My son was yelling out for me. Then I didn’t hear him. They took. Him in another area for the continual torture .I was lleft clueless and panicky and helpless and hopeless in a waiting room…little did I know what horrific measures wee being used on my son!!!!! I think I would’ve been arrested for beating up anyone that hurt my child. I was then informed by a nurse that I could. Speak to my son on the phone. I will never be able to forget the horror in my son’s voice- he was drugged up by these people. How dare they shackle my son’s feet an then ask him why he was causing a scene in waiting room? Then they team of torturers simutaneously jumped on him held his head and shoulders and body down and the nurse yeilding a needle said”how dare you cause all those problems in waiting area” and then while they were holding him she came with needle toward his arm and he screamd out”NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His voice was not heard. They had him tied up hands and feet and wrapped a resstraining sheet around him, I’m crying as I write this. I was around the corner and I couldn’t save my son. I’m having so much anxiety I haven’t eaten in three days.  My son is showing signs of ptsd he is upset depressed angry , feels like all his trust and rights were taken from him.

How can this happen? This is so damaging to the health of so many people. Why is this place allowed to do this? I want to press charges against the. Police and against the people that hurt my son.  Hurt his. Soul.  How does he recover from this??? How can we fight back?


File complaints with:

NYS Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities

How To Submit A Complaint

Abuse and/or Treatment (Online)

The Commission is authorized to investigate
allegations of poor care or treatment involving New York State mental hygiene programs operated or licensed by the Office of Mental Health (OMH), the Office
for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPwDD), or the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). If you suspect poor care is being given
to you or someone you know, you can file a complaint by:

Using the link above, calling
1-800-624-4143 or writing a letter addressed to:

Division of Quality Assurance and Investigations
NYS Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities
401 State Street, Schenectady, New York 12305-2397

  1.  Demand an interview with the
    director of the CPEP.
  2. Contact your local legal aid office and ask to speak to the PAIMI attorney
    (Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Mental Illness).
  3. File a complaint with the NYS Office of Mental Health

Customer Relations toll free at


What does Customer Relations do with a complaint?

Generally, complaints are referred to field staff or to
consultants for investigation. We attempt to complete all investigations within
30 days.

  1. File a complaint with the director of the hospital.
  2. Find out what doctor was in charge and file a complaint against his license by going to the NYS Dept. of Health, Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC).
  3. Go to the newspapers and television stations; if they won’t do a story then write a letter to the editor.
  4. Report it to your county and state legislators.
  5. Tell everybody you know.

About annecwoodlen

I am a tenth generation American, descended from a family that has been working a farm that was deeded to us by William Penn. The country has changed around us but we have held true. I stand in my grandmother’s kitchen, look down the valley to her brother’s farm and see my great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Hannah standing on the porch. She is holding the baby, surrounded by four other children, and saying goodbye to her husband and oldest son who are going off to fight in the Revolutionary War. The war is twenty miles away and her husband will die fighting. We are not the Daughters of the American Revolution; we were its mothers. My father, Milton C. Woodlen, got his doctorate from Temple University in the 1940’s when—in his words—“a doctorate still meant something.” He became an education professor at West Chester State Teachers College, where my mother, Elizabeth Hope Copeland, had graduated. My mother raised four girls and one boy, of which I am the middle child. My parents are deceased and my siblings are estranged. My fiancé, Robert H. Dobrow, was a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps. In 1974, his plane crashed, his parachute did not open, and we buried him in a cemetery on Long Island. I could say a great deal about him, or nothing; there is no middle ground. I have loved other men; Bob was my soul mate. The single greatest determinate of who I am and what my life has been is that I inherited my father’s gene for bipolar disorder, type II. Associated with all bipolar disorders is executive dysfunction, a learning disability that interferes with the ability to sort and organize. Despite an I.Q. of 139, I failed twelve subjects and got expelled from high school and prep school. I attended Syracuse University and Onondaga Community College and got an associate’s degree after twenty-five years. I am nothing if not tenacious. Gifted with intelligence, constrained by disability, and compromised by depression, my employment was limited to entry level jobs. Being female in the 1960’s meant that I did office work—billing at the university library, calling out telegrams at Western Union, and filing papers at a law firm. During one decade, I worked at about a hundred different places as a temporary secretary. I worked for hospitals, banks, manufacturers and others, including the county government. I quit the District Attorney’s Office to manage a gas station; it was more honest work. After Bob’s death, I started taking antidepressants. Following doctor’s orders, I took them every day for twenty-six years. During that time, I attempted%2
This entry was posted in CPEP, doctor, drugs, Inpatient psychiatry, mental health, mental illness, NYS Office of Mental Health, patient, psychiatric patient, psychiatrist, psychiatry, St. Joseph's Hospital and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s